Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Things we'd be talking about if the forum wasn't deadFollow

#4852 Mar 08 2018 at 3:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
We're not talking about a sign at a clothing store though, we're talking about graphic violence in video games. Or, more accurately, the glorification of said violence since it's usually perpetrated by the player-protagonist and often from a first-person perspective.

It's just a stupid argument. "This game is twelve hours of cutting people up with a chainsaw!" "Yeah, well, the Bible says 'emissions like donkeys' once in 1,200 pages so there!"
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4853 Mar 08 2018 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,252 posts
Allegory wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
I don't believe at all that you were not referring to those in the GOP currently bringing up the subject in your original comment.

I stated "People clamoring over violence in the media". That includes all people who are clamoring over violence in the media, left or right. That includes no people not clamoring over violence in the media, left or right. I don't care about your assumptions. Stop criticizing me for things you imagined me saying.

You forgot the second part of your statement. About how violent "their holy book" was.

You didn't just state all people clamoring over violence in the media. You were making a statement directly toward those who have a holy book, and one they'd be using as a moral foundation.

Context. Given the context of the conversation that was happening in this thread, the current push by some on the GOP to use video games and media as a scapegoat again, it's clear who the "people" you were referring to were. And it's dishonest to state now that well, you didn't say right or left, so you meant everyone.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#4854 Mar 08 2018 at 10:55 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
21,003 posts
Jophiel wrote:
We're not talking about a sign at a clothing store though

We aren't, they are. This is the threshold for what this advocacy group considers offensive and what they would like to see removed from the public eye. It's a perfectly legitimate argument. If they find the word "badass" offensive then clearly gang rape, murder, and dismemberment would also been deemed offensive.
TirithRR wrote:
it's clear who the "people" you were referring to were

Yeah, it's people with holy books.
TirithRR wrote:
And it's dishonest to state now that well, you didn't say right or left, so you meant everyone.

I didn't mean everyone, I meant specifically who I said. You imagining the comment was somehow a targeted criticism at the right says a lot about your own biases and projections. Let me know when you want to debate anything I've said or expressed, otherwise I don't see a point here.
#4855 Mar 09 2018 at 12:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Allegory wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
We're not talking about a sign at a clothing store though
We aren't, they are.

No idea since I couldn't find a story for them objecting to a "badass" sign. Doesn't matter anyway since One Million Moms isn't the spearhead of the "blame video games for gun violence" thing anyway.

The primary anti-gaming groups at the meeting were the Parents Television Council and the Media Research Council.

Edited, Mar 9th 2018 7:58am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4856 Mar 09 2018 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,599 posts
I think they're too busy with The Detour.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4857 Mar 09 2018 at 3:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,737 posts
I saw this on Twitter, and knew that it would come in handy around here, so I present an image upload.

Screenshot
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#4858 Mar 09 2018 at 8:19 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
21,003 posts
Jophiel wrote:
No idea since I couldn't find a story for them objecting to a "badass" sign.

Have a link, but I don't mind throwing them out. I'm not exactly on the up and up about who the top moral panickers are. They are explicit about their religious connection though so it conveniently bypassed any argument about who comprises the group.
Jophiel wrote:
The primary anti-gaming groups at the meeting were the Parents Television Council and the Media Research Council.

A quick look over at PTC has them rating The Big Bang Theory at their highest level, as unsuitable for children. I've seen enough of the show to assume it was for mentioning *** and probably other crude language. There's practically no violence in the show to my knowledge. Pretty sure no depictions of gang rape and dismemberment.

I could not locate viewing guide form the Media Research Center on what is or is not inappropriate content. Their website splashed articles largely focused on the political dimension of content rather than violence, language, or ***.

Edited, Mar 9th 2018 8:27pm by Allegory
#4859 Mar 12 2018 at 7:43 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,599 posts
Allegory wrote:
A quick look over at PTC has them rating The Big Bang Theory at their highest level, as unsuitable for children.
How is Riverdale not red?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4860 Mar 14 2018 at 7:25 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,599 posts
So a California teacher slash reserve police officer discharged their weapon in a classroom by apparently checking to see if the weapon was loaded by pulling the trigger. While holding a class on public safety.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4861 Mar 14 2018 at 11:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
Truly an excellent teacher. He taught us more about gun safety with that one stray bullet than all the boring classes everyone slept through. Hopefully the judge take into account his willingness to sacrifice his reputation and career in dedication to his class when deciding on punishment.

Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#4862 Mar 14 2018 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,737 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
So a California teacher slash reserve police officer discharged their weapon in a classroom by apparently checking to see if the weapon was loaded by pulling the trigger. While holding a class on public safety.


Link

Edited, Mar 14th 2018 10:46am by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#4863 Mar 14 2018 at 1:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*******
50,599 posts
I hate when these incidents are minimized by calling them accidents.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4864 Mar 15 2018 at 8:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,330 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I hate when these incidents are minimized by calling them accidents.


One student had to have stitches because his neck was lacerated, either by bullet fragments or plaster. That could have gone so, so bad.

I'm not sure you could print the right word for what this was in a family newspaper.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#4865 Mar 15 2018 at 11:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,737 posts
This made me giggle



Followed it up with a little mbmbam about cats (Not related, just about cats, and funny)

https://twitter.com/everydaylouie/status/974094752160235520
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#4866 Mar 15 2018 at 11:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,330 posts
The best thing about MBMBAM is how much they crack each other up. The background giggling always makes me laugh along.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#4867 Mar 15 2018 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
*******
50,599 posts
Samira wrote:
I'm not sure you could print the right word for what this was in a family newspaper.
I'm partial towards "incidental" and "negligent."

Also, this.

Edited, Mar 15th 2018 1:42pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4868 Mar 15 2018 at 12:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,737 posts
Smiley: lol

Whoever made that image is doing the lord's work!

Edited, Mar 15th 2018 3:52pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#4869 Mar 15 2018 at 9:54 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,371 posts
Allegory wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
We're not talking about a sign at a clothing store though

We aren't, they are. This is the threshold for what this advocacy group considers offensive and what they would like to see removed from the public eye. It's a perfectly legitimate argument. If they find the word "badass" offensive then clearly gang rape, murder, and dismemberment would also been deemed offensive.


Sure. What about the mention of such things in the bible makes you think that the bible is endorsing those behaviors, or that those who regularly read said book think they are "ok"? I mean, our legal code mentions all of those things too, but I don't find that fact offensive either, nor would I ever consider an argument of the form that "you obey the law, and the law mentions things like rape and murder, so how can you possibly be offended by <insert something else here>"?

That just seems like a wildly illogical argument to make.

Quote:
TirithRR wrote:
it's clear who the "people" you were referring to were

Yeah, it's people with holy books.
TirithRR wrote:
And it's dishonest to state now that well, you didn't say right or left, so you meant everyone.

I didn't mean everyone, I meant specifically who I said. You imagining the comment was somehow a targeted criticism at the right says a lot about your own biases and projections.


In a political climate where one "side" is so broadly associated with religion (fairly or not), it's not unfair to assume that one is making that sort of political association. At the very least, you ought to consider the fact that many people will make this exact assumption when reading what you write. And while I suppose it's possible that you are just blithely unaware of how most people will interpret this in a political context, I (and I assume TirithRR) have seen enough examples of this kind of language to know that when most people use it, they are very clearly and very directly making the exact political association you claim you didn't mean to make.

Conservatives "cling to their guns and religion", right? It's not even thinly veiled code going on here. I've long since lost track of the number of times this sort of assumed association has been used just on this forum. That's not even starting on broader media.

Quote:
Let me know when you want to debate anything I've said or expressed, otherwise I don't see a point here.


The point is that you're using terminology that is broadly used, often in a dismissive and/or derogatory way, to refer to conservatives. You may not have intended that connection, but it's commonly enough used that it's not unreasonable for someone else to assume that was your intent. Most people who use that sort of language do exactly intend it to be an attack on conservatives by dismissing their political positions as mere religious fanaticism.


As a bit of an aside, I'm always fascinated how the assumption is that there is no possible non-religious moral/ethical reason one might make an association between violent images in media and violent actions in life. It's almost like the concept of secular humanism only exists when it's convenient, and is hidden from view or ignored when it is not. This is not so much a comment on your posts, but a question as to why the only targets for the whole "violent video games and entertainment causes violence" thing (in this forum at least, but I've seen it elsewhere) are religious. Specifically, Christian religious sources. As though they are the only ones who might think this. I'd assume that secular humanists would be *more* likely to ascribe to this, since it's a tangible source of input that one might naturally assume would influence behavior (as opposed to say evil spirits, or the work of the devil, or whatever).

Yet. No mention of secularists leading the charge to do away with violent images in our society as a means of curbing the rates of violent acts by teens and young adults. Odd, don't you think? Again, not that I don't think there are secular groups who believe this, and even support this, but that what we see in our social media (well, and in all forms of media) focuses on religious groups who believe this. Which, in turn, suggests this is more about influencing the public to oppose the group and not the idea.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#4870 Mar 16 2018 at 7:02 AM Rating: Excellent
*******
50,599 posts
gbaji wrote:
The point is that you're using terminology that is broadly used, often in a dismissive and/or derogatory way, to refer to conservatives.
Liberals.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4871 Mar 20 2018 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
*******
50,599 posts
Free ice cream cone from Dairy Queen today, which is nice when looking at half a foot of snow tonight.

Self driving Uber killed someone in Arizona, presumably because they didn't tip the automated waiters at the sushi restaurant.

And another school shooting, because it's Spring so why the hell not be the first?

Edited, Mar 20th 2018 10:21am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#4872 Mar 20 2018 at 2:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Another shooter who I guess is only scared of secret random guns and not guns that he knows. Fortunately, his in-depth plotting of the security officer's response path and time was flawed.
Quote:
A student gunman opened fire Tuesday at a high school in southern Maryland, injuring two students before an armed school resources officer intervened, authorities said.

The gunman, identified as Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17, was killed, but St. Mary's County Sheriff Tim Cameron said it was not immediately clear whether the school officer fired the fatal shot or whether the gunman killed himself.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#4873 Mar 20 2018 at 2:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,666 posts
Think this one is a much better representation of what gun violence in American schools mostly entails. One person bringing a gun to school and targeting someone they knew, not the mass shootings that seem to capture the public attention more.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#4874 Mar 20 2018 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
17,252 posts
This week, 50 million facebook users learned what they are really doing when they do a free quiz to find out what Frozen character they are.

Next week, 50 million facebook users will still click to find out what Piece of Office Furniture they are.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#4875 Mar 20 2018 at 4:34 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,371 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Think this one is a much better representation of what gun violence in American schools mostly entails. One person bringing a gun to school and targeting someone they knew, not the mass shootings that seem to capture the public attention more.


Yeah. This sort of shooting falls outside the scope of the mass type I was speaking about earlier.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#4876 Mar 20 2018 at 8:40 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,604 posts
gbaji wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Think this one is a much better representation of what gun violence in American schools mostly entails. One person bringing a gun to school and targeting someone they knew, not the mass shootings that seem to capture the public attention more.


Yeah. This sort of shooting falls outside the scope of the mass type I was speaking about earlier.
To low a body count to matter, you fucking ghoul?
____________________________
Smash wrote:
My next mixed metaphor will include chocolate cake.

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 0 All times are in CDT