Testing begins this month and all Loyalists should register for a chance at glory.
Kalypso Media has announced that the next entry in its city building simulation series, Tropico 5, will enter closed beta this month. Fellow loyalists to El Presidente are encouraged to register for the testing phase at the official site. The title is currently scheduled for a Summer 2014 release on the PC and Xbox 360, and will also be released at a later date on the PlayStation 4.
The glorious island nation of Tropico will be packed with new features:
- Eras - From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
- The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
- Research and Renovate - Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
- Advanced trade system and trade fleet - Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
- Explore your island - Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
- All new art - All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
If that doesn't have you quite excited enough to give Penultimo a huge hug, for the first time in Tropico series history a cooperative and competitive multiplayer mode will be introduced. Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.
Will your dynasty thrive and persevere throughout tumultuous eras, or will the rebels win? Are you prepared to become the Supreme Ruler of all of Tropico? Viva El Presidente!
Ann "Cyliena" Hosler, Managing Editor