Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Auld MemesFollow

#1 Oct 02 2016 at 10:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,203 posts
Redux.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#2 Oct 02 2016 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Careful. You wouldn't want the Alt Right to begin posting that meme, have a major party candidate call it racist and have it added to the ADL's list of Hate Symbols. Smiley: tongue

I hear that tune a lot, you know what it's called?
#3 Oct 02 2016 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,212 posts
Roundabout by Yes.
____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#4 Oct 02 2016 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,203 posts
It's a good song. The To Be Continued mixed with Roundabout is specifically a Jo Jo thing.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#5 Oct 03 2016 at 1:47 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Ah, I'd been seeing it a bunch on random vids(DS3 vids by one guy I've been watching, for instance). Wondered where it came from.
#6 Oct 03 2016 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
******
49,405 posts
I thought this would be a thread about Pepe.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#7 Oct 03 2016 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I thought this would be a thread about Pepe.

I spent half an hour yesterday arguing about Pepe with a Columbia professor. Or at least someone whose name matches a Columbia professor. Can never tell with Twitter.
#8 Oct 03 2016 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
I heard about this on the radio so I looked at the actual website and they are pretty clear in their write-up that while pepe is being used consistently in racist ways the majority of it isn't.

Quote:
The Pepe the Frog character did not originally have racist or anti-Semitic connotations. Internet users appropriated the character and turned him into a meme, placing the frog in a variety of circumstances and saying many different things. Many variations of the meme became rather esoteric, resulting in the phenomenon of so-called "rare Pepes."

The majority of uses of Pepe the Frog have been, and continue to be, non-bigoted.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#9 Oct 03 2016 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
I heard about this on the radio so I looked at the actual website and they are pretty clear in their write-up that while pepe is being used consistently in racist ways the majority of it isn't.

Quote:
The Pepe the Frog character did not originally have racist or anti-Semitic connotations. Internet users appropriated the character and turned him into a meme, placing the frog in a variety of circumstances and saying many different things. Many variations of the meme became rather esoteric, resulting in the phenomenon of so-called "rare Pepes."

The majority of uses of Pepe the Frog have been, and continue to be, non-bigoted.
Yeah, but just because a minority of people use something in a racist way doesn't mean the whole thing needs to go on THE LIST. It's abundantly clear due to the prevalence of either hate speech or other hateful symbols along with it(most of which is just shitposting, because internet) when someone's making a racist Pepe. It's not like a **** Flag or KKK hood where the symbol itself is inherently racist.

This was literally just a lock-step response to an article on Hillary's website made to smear Donald Trump. Here's a video because I don't want to go grabbing all that stuff I used yesterday from Twitter again.

Speaking of Memes, I didn't realize this existed.
#10 Oct 03 2016 at 6:50 PM Rating: Excellent
If something is systematic in it's racist usage it's worth noting that it is, if for no other reason than that people will see it in that light and will go look for more info. If anything this article will clear the cartoon's name in this situation.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#11 Oct 04 2016 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
******
49,405 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
If anything this article will clear the cartoon's name in this situation.
You have far more faith in social media than I have.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#12 Oct 04 2016 at 1:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
If something is systematic in it's racist usage it's worth noting that it is, if for no other reason than that people will see it in that light and will go look for more info. If anything this article will clear the cartoon's name in this situation.
I suspect that the only thing the article will do is get cited as "proof" that any use of Pepe is racist by people who want to silence others and will not be read further by normies, who will take its mere existence at face value.
#13 Oct 05 2016 at 9:03 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
Just a pet peeve, but "normie" is a term used by people who lack self awareness. They place an undue important on characteristics in which they see themselves as atypical and ignoring other characteristics in which other peopel are atypical.

To someone immersed in the world of Star Trek the teenager posting selfies on facebook and the /b/tard looking at the latest Zeta kill vid are the same, they're both normies who know nothing about the ideological split between Vulcans and Romulans. To the guy who spends all his time watching top gear and every spare cent he has on mod kits and track fees, the previous three are all normies. They aren't car people and they couldn't tell a supercharger from a turbocharger.

Everyone has hobbies. Yours aren't special. Just different.
#14 Oct 06 2016 at 7:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Allegory wrote:
Everyone has hobbies. Yours aren't special. Just different.
And normie is a nice, easy way to say "people who don't understand the topic I'm talking about on any but the absolutely most basic level".
#15 Oct 06 2016 at 7:43 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
It's an insult intended to insinuate that you special and the people who don't share your particular interest are "mainstream".
#16 Oct 07 2016 at 3:03 AM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,212 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
And normie is a nice, easy way to say "people who don't understand the topic I'm talking about on any but the absolutely most basic level".
Or any level at all.


Me: "That's an old internet meme."
Everybody I Know: "An old what?"
Me: "A shared joke that spreads around, like lolcats."
E.I.K: "Like what??
Me: "Um, OK...like the "Hide Your Kids" guy".
E.I.K.: "WHO?"
Me: "Aren't you on, like, Facebook and sh*t 24/7?"
E.I.K.: :Yes."
Me: "and you have no clue what any of those things are?"
E.I.K: "No."


ME: Smiley: facepalm x over 9000

____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#17 Oct 07 2016 at 8:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Allegory wrote:
It's an insult intended to insinuate that you special and the people who don't share your particular interest are "mainstream".
There you go trying to tell me what I'm saying again. Smiley: rolleyes

Friar Bijou wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
And normie is a nice, easy way to say "people who don't understand the topic I'm talking about on any but the absolutely most basic level".
Or any level at all.


Me: "That's an old internet meme."
Everybody I Know: "An old what?"
Me: "A shared joke that spreads around, like lolcats."
E.I.K: "Like what??
Me: "Um, OK...like the "Hide Your Kids" guy".
E.I.K.: "WHO?"
Me: "Aren't you on, like, Facebook and sh*t 24/7?"
E.I.K.: :Yes."
Me: "and you have no clue what any of those things are?"
E.I.K: "No."


ME: Smiley: facepalm x over 9000

If they're ye olde, you could always mention Kilroy.
#18 Oct 07 2016 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
Well, the issue is more so that everyone else is telling you what you're saying. If you're deliberately using words contrary to their generally accepted meaning, I don't know what to tell you... literally.
#19 Oct 07 2016 at 10:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,203 posts
He is using that word choice because it has a cultural connotation in addition to it's definition.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#20 Oct 08 2016 at 6:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Allegory wrote:
Well, the issue is more so that everyone else is telling you what you're saying. If you're deliberately using words contrary to their generally accepted meaning, I don't know what to tell you... literally.
Words evolve. At one point, as far back as the 1990s, "normie" referred to people who weren't possessed of a mental health issue. Obviously, it no longer means that. And truly, at one point, "normie" was simply a pejorative towards people who weren't in the know on some obscure hobby or fandom. And sometimes, that's what people mean. But nowadays, I quite often see it used in a playful fashion, sometimes even as a term of endearment, much the way "sperg" has similarly evolved, but with the core underpinnings of being "someone who doesn't know much about the subject I'm referring to". I understand if you're behind the times.

After all, I can't help it if you're such a normie, you sperg. Smiley: tongue

What irks me, is that in all our years here, you seem primed to think the worst of me. You read something I write, assume that I mean something troublesome and we end up having a conversation very much like this in which I have to explain my meaning to you. It doesn't often seem to occur to you that I generally mean things in a friendly or playful fashion. At times, I wonder if it's me, but I really don't have this problem anywhere else. So I don't know what to say.

Timelordwho wrote:
He is using that word choice because it has a cultural connotation in addition to it's definition.
It got across the point I meant in the way I meant it. At least I thought it would. Should have expected the Allegory Inquisition.
#21 Oct 08 2016 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,385 posts
I'll never see the word "normie" as anything but a word used by furries to describe non-furries.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#22 Oct 08 2016 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,212 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Should have expected the Allegory Inquisition.
NOOO-BODY EXPECTS THE ALLEGORY INQUISITION!!!
Screenshot
____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#23 Oct 08 2016 at 10:59 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
What irks me, is that in all our years here, you seem primed to think the worst of me.

Maybe it's my fault for the word choice of "you". That was used in a general sense earlier, not specifically you.

"Normie" is a pet peeve of mine, and word usage is important to me. It's an insult, meaning pretty much what I said, and in my opinion for the reason I said. The best I can do for authoritative references on slang is knowyourmeme, urbandictionary, and the first few random usages on 4chan. Some people amicably refer to each other as "cunt" as well, but it is inherently an insult.

I don't believe I'm primed to think the worst of you. I've been dismissive of gamergate, but I genuinely think that's it was a ridiculous psuedomovement that had superficial goals. You were consistently and singularly promoting the cause and so my verbal eyerolling would have been pretty much exclusively in response to anything you had to say about it. Honestly I held back comments because I didn't want to give you a hard time, and also because it's basically equally superfluous of me to complain about someone caring for something I think is superfluous.

I'll also say as a statement that I feel you've changed over the past few months. You appear to have a greater interest in twitter, memes, and online tabloids, and taking more seriously than I think they merit. That's not a "stop liking things I don't like," comment, but an outside perspective you can decide whether or not is useful information.
#24 Oct 08 2016 at 11:10 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
While we're on it, another big pet peeve is the comic/manga generals threads. It's less of an issue now since ZAM is dead, but before I don't understand why someone would post only saying a new chapter is out with next to no commentary. Do people just not use rss feeds? Do people still manually check websites for updates rather than aggregating then into one source? Also why spoiler posts about the latest chapter in a a thread that is clearly always about the latest chapter. This results in a thread that is massively spoilered and half of the posts require an extra click to read.

These are the first world problems that keep me up at night.

And let me tell you about base 10 numerals....
#25 Oct 08 2016 at 11:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Sketchy Character
*****
10,105 posts
ITT: Allegory channels Frank Costanza
____________________________
Toohotforu wrote:
Just punch her in the vag and tell her to @#$% off.

#26 Oct 09 2016 at 3:45 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,346 posts
Allegory wrote:
Do people still manually check websites for updates rather than aggregating then into one source?
Say what now?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#27 Oct 09 2016 at 5:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,331 posts
Allegory wrote:
I don't believe I'm primed to think the worst of you. I've been dismissive of gamergate, but I genuinely think that's it was a ridiculous psuedomovement that had superficial goals. You were consistently and singularly promoting the cause and so my verbal eyerolling would have been pretty much exclusively in response to anything you had to say about it. Honestly I held back comments because I didn't want to give you a hard time, and also because it's basically equally superfluous of me to complain about someone caring for something I think is superfluous.
I'm talking way back to before gamergate. Also, your mom's face is a pseudomovement. Yours, however, is a real movement. I'll let you decide if that was a childish **** joke or not.

Allegory wrote:
I'll also say as a statement that I feel you've changed over the past few months. You appear to have a greater interest in twitter, memes, and online tabloids, and taking more seriously than I think they merit. That's not a "stop liking things I don't like," comment, but an outside perspective you can decide whether or not is useful information.
Well, I didn't have twitter before GG and thus wasn't exposed to memes anywhere but here(and other forums I occasionally lurked), really, so I can certainly agree on those. I mean, I had Facebook, but it was for mostly family and my family is a bunch of normies. Smiley: tongue

As for online tabloids, I've been reading more news in general these last two years than I had before. Mostly CNN/WSJ/USA Today(I get the latter two free from work), actually, but I also check out other sources. Sometimes tabloids(though I always try to find confirmation when it's not a source I feel inclined to trust). So fair enough. I read plenty of those, at least in comparison to the old days, when the only tabloid I read was Weekly World News, whose ridiculousness I enjoyed.
#28 Oct 09 2016 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Say what now?

There are sites/applications that aggregate RSS feeds. This isn't terribly useful for sites that update regularly multiple times a day, but if a site updates only 3 times a week/month, and especially if it's irregular, then it's quite useful. You receive a ping in your aggregated feed that shows you only when a website has produced new content, and then you go visit that website.

For example, I usually enjoy videos produced by CPGrey, however he sporadically creates videos on average maybe around 1-2 months apart. Instead of visiting his channel randomly merely to check if there is a new video, I have a feed set to automatically notify me whenever new content appears.

Think of it like DVR for the internet.
Poldaran wrote:
I'm talking way back to before gamergate.

I'll make a modification, because I just checked posts from me mentioning you, and apparently this gamergate thing was going on since September 2014, which is longer than the few months I remembered. This is my search for reference. I have made 8 posts mentioned you since September 2014, and the majority of them involving gamersgate. Before then I think I respond to you with a typically friendly manner. My honest opinion of you pregamergate was as a funny and jovial guy.
#29 Oct 09 2016 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,346 posts
Thanks. By the way, the answer to your question was yes.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#30 Oct 11 2016 at 6:31 AM Rating: Good
***
1,050 posts
Quote:
For example, I usually enjoy videos produced by CPGrey


You don't find his inability to conduct basic research into anything he talks about at all annoying?
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#31 Oct 12 2016 at 6:10 AM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
Looks like you found a niche to fill. Let me know when to subscribe.
#32 Oct 12 2016 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
***
1,050 posts
How is it a niche to fill if he's already filling it? Smiley: madSmiley: madSmiley: mad ALLEGORY. Smiley: madSmiley: madSmiley: mad
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#33 Oct 13 2016 at 7:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,203 posts
Hey, Annabella is back!
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#34 Oct 13 2016 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
12,275 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
Quote:
For example, I usually enjoy videos produced by CPGrey


You don't find his inability to conduct basic research into anything he talks about at all annoying?


I don't trust anyone whose name may reference Child ****. Smiley: um
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#35 Oct 15 2016 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,385 posts
Shaowstrike wrote:
Kavekkk wrote:
Quote:
For example, I usually enjoy videos produced by CPGrey


You don't find his inability to conduct basic research into anything he talks about at all annoying?


I don't trust anyone whose name may reference Child ****. Smiley: um


It's actually CGP Grey. Reference to Collections of Granny ****, so you're safe.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#36 Oct 17 2016 at 7:29 AM Rating: Good
***
1,050 posts
Allegory didn't bother looking up his real name, just like his idol taught him. Who needs to fact check?

Edited, Oct 17th 2016 9:31am by Kavekkk
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#37 Oct 17 2016 at 9:19 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,885 posts
I'm glad I'm getting credit for the right link and wrong name rather than the other way around.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 75 All times are in CDT
Kuwoobie, Anonymous Guests (74)