Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Reply To Thread

Things we might discuss if the forum didn't dieFollow

#303 Jun 13 2017 at 4:38 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,908 posts
I've never hated gbaji more.
#304 Jun 13 2017 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
***
1,061 posts
****, sniped by a ******* fifty ton essay. gbaji's mental illness has never impressed me more.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#305 Jun 13 2017 at 5:57 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
gbaji wrote:
It's the same thing that folks tried to do by heading to Tea Party rallies, and waving around signs with hateful and bigoted messages.
No. Those were your conservative friends. Oops, sorry..."conservative" friends.

Y'know...the ones you claimed were a poisonous part of the right - over and over - and claimed the right couldn't exclude them despite their totally racist, hate message...over and over? Because despite their evil rhetoric, they were in the right (heh) because they were "fiscally conservative" and therefore justified?


I'm sorry? Could you please find a quote of me saying it's ok for folks at a Tea Party rally (or any conservative event) to wave signs saying "Ni*ger's not wanted", or "God hates Fa*gs", or "Mexican's are lazy", or whatever? I have *never* excused that kind of behavior. What I have done, "over and over" is argue that if you were to actually attend a conservative event, you'd find that no one's actually waving stuff like that, or saying stuff like that, or in fact making any statements remotely like that.

Well... Unless some liberal shows up and does it so they can perpetuate the narrative. And in that case, they're asked to leave extremely quickly.


Quote:
Over and over and over again?


Then it should be easy to find a quote. Right?

And no. A contrived "well, if you support this political position, it means you don't like this group, and that's equivalent to hate speech!" doesn't count. That's your interpretation of the motivation behind a position, and it's that interpretation that I disagree with. You'd need to find examples of actual conservatives actually saying "we're doing this because we hate X group". And then find me excusing that language. Trust me. You can't find this. But good luck trying.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#306 Jun 13 2017 at 6:05 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Allegory wrote:
I've never hated gbaji more.


Muahahahaha! That's like the most awesome timing ever. ;)
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#307 Jun 13 2017 at 6:14 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Oh. One other thing I missed earlier, but noticed later:

Quote:
he's an idiot for thinking that getting everyone a gun would do anything to stop terrorism


I have no problem with people holding different positions than I do. I have no problem with someone disagreeing with someone else's position. What I do have a problem with is expressing your disagreement, and then completely mischaracterizing the position you're disagreeing with. It makes one wonder if you're intentionally doing so in order to make for an easier counter argument, or if you honestly don't understand the other guy's position.

This is an example of that. The sheriff did not say that "everyone" should "get a gun". And he certainly didn't say that we should (who is "we" here anyway) be "getting everyone a gun". The way you phrased that makes it seem like some external group (the government maybe?) should be in charge of providing everyone with a gun in order to help fight terrorists.

But what he actually said was for those people who do have permits to carry weapons, to carry them more often, so as to be better able to oppose a terrorist attack if it should occur. Which, if you stop and think about it, is perfectly reasonable.

Again. You're free to disagree with his suggestion. But to say that an entire group of people "disgust" you, maybe you should have a better reason than what you provided. Just a suggestion. Otherwise, it just smacks of the very tribalism you started out saying you hate.

Edited, Jun 13th 2017 5:17pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#308 Jun 13 2017 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
This thread was literally 1000x better when it was Kuwoobie whining that feminists were stopping him from fucking his Pokemon buddy.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#309 Jun 13 2017 at 10:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
If it makes you feel any better, I'm in a new class now and everything that seemed great before has passed. Now I can go back to feeling like being in the same room as a woman is sexually harassing them.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#310 Jun 13 2017 at 10:31 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
Oh yeah. One other thing I missed earlier but just now noticed.

I realize the article wasn't saying everyone should be provided with a gun. I also don't really care, just like I didn't care to explain the article fully. --especially given what the article actually says is more or less just as bad. I won't pretend to go back and read it, but basically some guy in a position of authority is telling people to "arm themselves" because "this is war."

I could write a huge wall of text about why this is irresponsible, but I shouldn't have to. It is obvious. Aside from that, I said it was idiotic because it's like telling people they should buy suits made of rubber in case they get hit by lightning. But people love to be afraid of terrorism, and gun enthusiasts love to fantasize about being a cowboy action heroes who save the day in the unlikely event there is a terror incident where having a gun might actually help anything. Instead of killing terrorists, they end up shooting their 9 year old daughter in the face and killing them. But yeah. Let's encourage a population of blithering imbeciles to "arm themselves" some more and see where it goes.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#311 Jun 14 2017 at 5:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,215 posts
While handguns in this country are a problem; gun rights advocacy does serve a useful purpose of limiting laws designed to hamper the construction of siege weapons. For that I am grateful.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#312 Jun 14 2017 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Kavekkk wrote:
You don't have the guts.
I would like to clarify some comments I made recently regarding Kavekkk. For openers, it would be great if we could bring terrorism to its knees. Still, if we take a step, just a step, towards addressing the issue of jingoism, then maybe we can open people's eyes (including our own) to a vision of how to appeal for comity between us and Kavekkk. There is more at play here than his purely political game of deflecting attention from his unwillingness to support policies that benefit the average citizen. There are ideologies at work, hidden agendas to convince innocent children to follow a path that leads only to a life of crime, disappointment, and destruction. I don't know what Kavekkk's problem is, but I sometimes see well-meaning people swallow his lie that he is able to abrogate the natural order of effects flowing from causes. To my mind, shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. That's why I wish that all decent people realized that Kavekkk's goal is to sell otherwise perfectly reasonable people the idée fixe that Trotskyism is a beautiful entelechy that makes us whole. How rebarbative is that? How muddleheaded? How despicable?

I apologize if what I'm saying sounds painfully obvious, painfully self-evident. However, it is so extremely important that I must surely say it. Pusillanimous draffsacks of one sort or another rarely question, resist, or protest those events that do not appear to affect them directly. For example, they ignore how Kavekkk has been retaining an institution which, twist and turn as you like, is and remains a disgrace to humanity. Did you hear what he recently said about communism? Never before has an uppish, two-faced rattlebrain so cleverly hidden in plain sight his intention to break down our communities.

Kavekkk's brand of incendiarism focuses on granting more power to soulless, salacious chowderheads regardless of the implication for others. Kavekkk-inspired incendiarism further advocates that these folks use their newly attained power for good or evil as they individually decide. I reject this and every other form of incendiarism because I never intend to offend anyone, Kavekkk included. Alas, the following statement may upset a few people: It is not possible fully to understand the present except as a projection of the past. Some people squirm a bit when they they read things like that, but such statements are the key to explaining why for many people, Kavekkk's bellicose jokes have caused substantial pain and suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, post-traumatic stress, sleeplessness, indignities and embarrassment, degradation, injury to reputation, and restrictions on personal freedom. Whew! The only thing they haven't yet caused, surprisingly, is a greater realization that we need to look beyond the most immediate and visible problems with Kavekkk. We need to look at what is behind these problems and understand that there is no doubt that Kavekkk will use our weaknesses to his advantage eventually. Believe me, I would give everything I own to be wrong on that point, but the truth is that Kavekkk's ****-and-bull stories constitute an instigation to guarantee the destruction of anything that looks like a vital community. This is not a matter of perception but of concrete, material reality.

Let me relate to you the most incontrovertibly true statement I've ever heard: “These issues are actually political issues.” Whoever said that clearly understood that Kavekkk dreams of a time when he'll be free to discredit legitimate voices in the imperialism debate. That's the way he's planned it, and that's the way it'll happen—not may happen but will happen—if we don't interfere, if we don't criticize his missives publicly for their formalistic categories, their spurious claims of neutrality, and their blindness to the abuse of private power. With an enormous expenditure of words, unclear in content and incomprehensible as to meaning, he frequently stammers an endless hodgepodge of phrases purportedly as witty as in reality they are blinkered. Only mutinous exponents of expansionism can feel at home in this maze of reasoning and cull an “inner experience” from this dung heap of morally corrupt fainéantism.

Perhaps it's a stretch, but what Kavekkk has been doing in terms of borrowing money and spending it on programs that convict me without trial, jury, or reading one complete paragraph of this letter reminds me of the way that the worst classes of closed-minded, diabolism-oriented ragabashes I've ever seen put the foxes in charge of guarding the henhouse. That said, I like to say that the most rapacious mantra that Kavekkk's apple-polishers utter is that views not informed by radical critique implicitly promote hegemonic values. He never directly acknowledges such truisms but instead tries to turn them around to make it sound like I'm saying that Tartuffism is a be-all, end-all system that should be forcefully imposed upon us. I guess that version better fits his style—or should I say, “agenda”?

I have in fact told Kavekkk that it is worth remembering that his patsies will have to stop shouting “Me, me!” and learn to harmonize on “Us, us!”. Unfortunately, there really wasn't anything to his response. I suppose Kavekkk just doesn't want to admit that he identifies with snooty, foolish tartarean-types (also known as Kavekkk's eulogists). To understand identity in the context of the present social order, however, one must first understand that thoughtful people are being forced to admit, after years of evading the truth, that I have been right. I was right when I said that Kavekkk's hatred knows no bounds. I was right when I said that all Kavekkk does is complain, complain, complain. And I was right when I said that when you tell Kavekkk's expositors that there is still a great deal about Kavekkk's personal history that has been concealed from the public, they begin to get fidgety and their eyes begin to wander. They really don't care. They have no interest in hearing that we truly can't afford to let him taunt, deride, and generally vilipend his castigators. What I'm suggesting is that we get people to stop believing lies that were forged in the fiery pits of ****. That's the key to refuting Kavekkk's arguments line-by-line and claim-by-claim, and it's the only way that most people will ever learn that if I said that one can understand the elements of a scientific theory only by reference to the social condition and personal histories of the scientists involved, I'd be a liar. But I'd be being entirely honest if I said that Kavekkk gives new meaning to the word “predatory”. That's just a fancy way of saying that many people respond to Kavekkk's slovenly ramblings in the same way that they respond to television dramas. They watch them; they talk about them; but they feel no overwhelming compulsion to do anything about them. That's why I insist we make an impartial and well-informed evaluation of the advantages and disadvantages of Kavekkk's antics.

While sullen dunderheads claim to defend traditional values, they actually violate strongly held principles regarding deferral of current satisfaction for long-term gains. Kavekkk's cop-outs leave me with several unanswered questions: Will peeling back the onion of his fastuous execrations cause him to shed tears or will it merely enhance his desire to misdirect, discredit, disrupt, and otherwise neutralize his adversaries? And what exactly is the principle that rationalizes his effete roorbacks? These are difficult questions to answer because his viewpoints are undoubtedly feckless. However, for many theorists in the humanities today, the key issue with Kavekkk's viewpoints boils down to one question: Which of the seven deadly sins—pride, envy, anger, sadness, avarice, gluttony, and lust—does Kavekkk not commit on a daily basis? To answer that rhetorical question let me just say that Kavekkk used to maintain that his debauches are the result of a high-minded urge to do sociological research. When he realized that no one was falling for that claptrap, he quickly changed his tune to say that he possesses infinite wisdom. Kavekkk is honestly a lubricious liar, and shame on anyone who believes him.

If you delve deeply into Kavekkk's flights of fancy and thus, in tranquil clarity, submit to contemplation the crotchets of disorganized marplots, you will certainly discover why we see Kavekkk's drones reach untold zeniths of ridiculousness each passing day. My current favorite comment of theirs is that the eradication of Kavekkk's opponents would restore mankind's golden age and save humanity from ruination. It's that sort of flapdoodle that reminds me that Kavekkk's conduct can be described as less than gentlemanly. Every time I strike that note, which I guess I do a lot, I hear from people calling me importunate or effrontive. Here's my answer: Kavekkk wants to be the one who determines what information we have access to. Yet he is also a big proponent of a particularly politically incorrect form of solecism. Do you see something wrong with that picture? What I see is that Kavekkk claims that the Scriptures are responsible for his temulent thoughts and fancies. This eisegetical fantasy is not only pudibund, but it fails to consider that an armed revolt against Kavekkk is morally justified. However, I believe that it is not yet strategically justified.

I once had a nightmare in which Kavekkk was free to give rise to peevish, verbally incontinent social outcasts of one sort or another. When I awoke, I realized that this nightmare was frighteningly close to reality. For instance, it is the case both in my nightmare and in reality that Kavekkk is capable of passing very rapidly from a hidden enjoyment of foul blackguardism to a proclaimed attachment to absenteeism and back—and back again. In the presence of high heaven and before the civilized world I therefore assert that when people come to me for advice on how to respond to Kavekkk's piteous perorations, I tend to proffer them an aphorism from my uncle, who schooled me on how to deal with such nonsense. My uncle would typically say something like, “Kavekkk likes to put on a honest face to dissimulate his plans to make our lives miserable”. Great stuff. There's no doubt that my uncle recognizes that a good friend of mine once made an honest and accurate effort to connect Kavekkk's current campaign of national destruction with his previous attempts to turn over our country to exploitative crypto-fascists. My friend's effort was completely and totally based on fact. Nevertheless, when Kavekkk heard about it, he went after my friend, which is not too surprising given that we must mobilize the public. We must get people to objurgate Kavekkk for exhibiting cruelty to animals.

Kavekkk has been trying for some time to convince people that a book's value to the reader is somehow influenced by the color of the author's skin. Don't believe his hype! Kavekkk has just been offering that line as a means to convert once-great academic institutions into worthless diploma mills. If I withheld my feelings on this matter, I'd be no less truculent than Kavekkk. One wonders if he has the cheek to manipulate the unseen mechanisms of society so as to dismantle the guard rails that protect society from the dodgy elements in its midst. I clearly hope not because I want to make plans and carry them out. But first, let me pose an abstract question. Why have so many sick-minded, abominable nitpicky-types gone into paroxysms of glee over his statement that his boisterous, scary plunderbund is a benign and charitable agency? If you need help in answering that question, you may note that the point is that if everyone spent just five minutes a day thinking about ways to stick to the facts and offer only those arguments that can be supported by those facts, we'd all be a lot better off. Is five minutes a day too much to ask for the promise of a better tomorrow? I hope not, but then again, I want to give people more information about Kavekkk, help them digest and assimilate and understand that information, and help them draw responsible conclusions from it. Here's one conclusion I undeniably hope people draw: I recently heard a famous celebrity—I forgot which one—say, “Kavekkk is a big fan of interrogation and torture.” That's such a great quote, I wish I had been the one who thought of it. Sadly, the cleverest thing I ever said was that if Kavekkk's tricks were intended as a joke, Kavekkk forgot to include the punchline. Now that I've said all that I planned to say, you can agree with me or disagree with me. We can have honest differences. But please remember this parting thought: Only by striving to make pretentiousness unfashionable can I take stock of what we know, identify areas for further research, and provide a useful starting point for debate on Kavekkk's inhumane editorials.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#313 Jun 14 2017 at 8:45 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,357 posts
Thanks for that lolgbaji
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#314 Jun 14 2017 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Anytime, dear.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#315 Jun 14 2017 at 2:21 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,061 posts
I wanted to stop reading, but I kept seeing my name and my Trump syndrome kicked in something fierce.
____________________________
Timelordwho wrote:
I'm not quite sure that scheming is an emotion.
#316 Jun 15 2017 at 8:00 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
I realize the article wasn't saying everyone should be provided with a gun. I also don't really care, just like I didn't care to explain the article fully.


And yet you felt the need to grossly mischaracterize the basic message in the article itself, and the message of the Sheriff as well. I guess I'm not sure what your objective is here then. You don't want to bother to read what the other guy actually says, but will point to an article about it and pretend he said something "bad" so you can point out how bad it is? Um... what? Surely you can see how that might motivate someone to actually read the article and actually watch the video and point out how you got it entirely wrong.

Quote:
--especially given what the article actually says is more or less just as bad.


Except it isn't. It isn't anywhere near "as bad" as what you claimed. If it really was, you wouldn't need to claim he said things he didn't actually say. You'd just directly quote him. The very fact that you felt the need to change what was said tells us not only that what he actually said wasn't "just as bad", but that you knew this when writing your post. Again, why else change the words?

Quote:
I won't pretend to go back and read it, but basically some guy in a position of authority is telling people to "arm themselves" because "this is war."


You either didn't actually read it or watch the video (I'm actually leaning in that direction), or you did decided to lie about the content. Because while he does use that language very briefly in the video, he actually first presents an argument that citizens can't just sit there and hope to not be victims, and then presents a list of things citizens can do to prepare ahead of time for the possibility of an attack. And "get yourself a gun" isn't actually even in the list. He says that those who have guns and carry permits should carry then wherever and whenever possible, and that having that gun sitting at home or in the car isn't going to help you if you find yourself in the midst of an attack. He addresses those who don't own guns or don't wish to as well, and gives advice about the kinds of things they could do as well. He also talked about how even unarmed citizens can make a difference if they choose to stand up as a group and oppose attackers (super relevant in the context of knife wielding attackers), since a number of people can overwhelm a small number regardless of weapons involved. He mentions the flight 91 passengers and how they fought against the terrorists, despite having no weapons, and suggests that that sort of attitude could save many lives (as it almost certainly did on 9/11).

But... You didn't actually watch the video, did you? Yet, you expressed a strong emotional response. i find that bizarre. I get being angry about something, but maybe you should actually check to see if that anger is justified first. My first response when someone tells me about something and say "OMG! this is terrible" is not to blindly accept their assessment and get angry, but to check to see if the thing really is terrible. You'd be amazed how often it's not. And even more amazed at how often the person telling me about this "terrible thing" isn't lying to me, but himself didn't actually check the source and instead blindly accepted the previous person's claim of terribleness. And that person often did as well. And the person before him, and the person before him, etc.

Read things for yourself and then assess them.

Quote:
I could write a huge wall of text about why this is irresponsible, but I shouldn't have to. It is obvious. Aside from that, I said it was idiotic because it's like telling people they should buy suits made of rubber in case they get hit by lightning.


Again. It's not irresponsible. In fact, if you actually bothered to watch the video, you'd find that he's not recommending anything close to irresponsibility. His suggestions are quite rational and reasonable.

Quote:
But people love to be afraid of terrorism, and gun enthusiasts love to fantasize about being a cowboy action heroes who save the day in the unlikely event there is a terror incident where having a gun might actually help anything. Instead of killing terrorists, they end up shooting their 9 year old daughter in the face and killing them. But yeah. Let's encourage a population of blithering imbeciles to "arm themselves" some more and see where it goes.


if you'd watched the video though, he made a specific point to gun owners to practice with their weapons and to attend gun training courses. So yeah. The exact opposite of what you're claiming.

And I'll point out again that he never actually said to anyone to buy or obtain a gun. He did not make any recommendation at all in that regard. He said that those who did own a gun and a carry permit should carry as often as they can. He said that if they do this, they should make sure to practice and take training courses so they can do so safely and effectively. He then said that for those who don't own a gun or are uncomfortable owning a gun, there are still options they could pursue, and mentioned a few of them.

He never once recommended to *anyone* who does not currently own a firearm to go out and get one. It's simply not in the video.

You're guessing what he said based on the stereotype you are carrying around inside your own head. You really should watch the video instead of speculating.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#317 Jun 15 2017 at 8:01 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Geez. Did nothing at all.

Edited, Jun 15th 2017 7:05pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#318 Jun 15 2017 at 11:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
Quote:
if you'd watched the video though


I'd see a whole bunch of **** I don't care about.


Kuwoobie wrote:
I won't pretend to go back and read it


The article and video could be saying anything at all. My gripe is with the typical reaction in the comments section.

Edited, Jun 16th 2017 5:55am by Kuwoobie

I don't know if my adblock broke or what, but it's saying it just blocked 50+ pop-ups from this site and will no longer prevent the ads from appearing all over the margin, making it next to impossible to write anything here while it is constantly refreshing.

Edited, Jun 16th 2017 5:56am by Kuwoobie
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#319 Jun 16 2017 at 10:06 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,563 posts
Even the internet doesn't want to read this exchange.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#320 Jun 19 2017 at 11:58 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
So. Now that I can't block the ads. Have they always been this invasive and obnoxious?
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#321 Jun 20 2017 at 6:02 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,357 posts
I don't know about always but certainly for quite some time
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#322 Jun 20 2017 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
13,215 posts
Get a better way to block them.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#323 Jun 20 2017 at 7:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I run strips of duct tape on my screen.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#324 Jun 20 2017 at 7:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I run strips of duct tape on my screen.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#325 Jun 20 2017 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
Quote:
if you'd watched the video though


I'd see a whole bunch of **** I don't care about.


And yet, you were the one who linked the article and expressed disgust with comments about said article, and lumped an entire group of people (conservatives) into a category of people you hate and which disgust you. Specific to my comments about you mischaracterizing what the Sheriff said, was your statement about your brother presumably agreeing with the whole "conservative" mindset. A mindset which you defined as one that agreed with the complete mischaracterization of what the Sheriff said.

I hope you can see how it might behoove you to actually bother to watch the video and find out what the Sheriff actually said, before expressing such anger at people who agree with him.

Quote:
Kuwoobie wrote:
I won't pretend to go back and read it


The article and video could be saying anything at all. My gripe is with the typical reaction in the comments section.


Two problems with that:

1. I addressed the issue with your reaction to the comments separately from my response to your mischaracterization of what the Sheriff said. You're the one who said he was advocating "getting everyone a gun". Ok, technically, you said that your brother was the kind of person who would think that was a great idea, but presumably that "idea" is the one the Sheriff was proposing, so it's the same thing.

2. I've viewed the linked article several times now, on two different browsers, and maybe I'm missing something, but I don't actually see a comments section on that page (or the second page either). Is it somewhere else? Did the move or delete said comments? Or did you read comments on some other site about the same subject? In any case, I can't comment on the comments since I haven't read them, and can't find them.


And that's before pointing out that there are a lot of people who use those comment sections to do nothing but troll. I would not take them as any sort of barometer of what anyone actually thinks about an issue, much less what a broad set of people like "conservatives" think. Again though, since I haven't been able to find these comments that so offended you, I'm left having to take your word for it that they were so vile and so offensive, that your highly emotional response we totally justified.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#326 Jun 20 2017 at 7:17 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Gah!

Edited, Jun 20th 2017 7:10pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#327 Jun 20 2017 at 8:17 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I run strips of duct tape on my screen.


Hah! I had a co-worker who would actually do this. Sorta. He handles most of the software upgrades for the systems we support. We also have a web page with a cool graphic that displays all of the bays where the systems are on the lab floor, and dynamically changes the content of each to indicate who's using it, what they're using it for, etc, complete with color changes depending on current status. So he'd just leave the page loaded on a spare computer and whenever he had time to do an install he'd look for systems that were the correct color (indicating they were not currently in use) and log in and do whatever install he needed to do. He'd then stick a small post-it note on the monitor over where that system was to indicate it was completed. That way he could see at a glance if any systems which were not yet upgraded were available to have an upgrade done.

It actually worked pretty well for that purpose, but looked really really funny.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#328 Jul 08 2017 at 6:20 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
I was going to write something on here twice now over the past week, but both times I was interrupted as the page I was writing on decided mid-paragraph to redirect to some ad page as if I had clicked on one. (I didn't?) Also, the login button is broken and the only way I can bypass this is by pretending to create a new thread.

To answer gbaji's question really fast: The comments were on Facebook, not posted directly to the article.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#329 Jul 17 2017 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
Step 1: Find a post on an internet forum from some random anon who is mad about the new Dr. Who
Step 2: Parade it all over news sites and social media.
Step 3: Openly and unabashfully engage in all the same petty, ugly, antisocial behavior as the random anon's you are criticizing, but reverse the gender pronouns.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Social Justice!
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#330 Jul 17 2017 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
I'm disappointed it wasn't Hayley Atwell.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#331 Jul 17 2017 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
So is Ms. Atwell. She really needed this job.

Kuwoobie is mad that someone mocked his nerd rage on the internet.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#332 Jul 17 2017 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
Jophiel wrote:
So is Ms. Atwell. She really needed this job.

Kuwoobie is mad that someone mocked his nerd rage on the internet.


It had nothing to do with me actually. I've never seen Dr. Who and don't care to. I'm just idiot watching.

Quote:
I'm disappointed it wasn't Hayley Atwell.


It's because you hate women.



Edited, Jul 18th 2017 2:09am by Kuwoobie
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#333 Jul 18 2017 at 10:08 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
It's because you hate women.
Well, yeah, with how their hair gets everywhere and their fangs and claws and always leaving dead birds in front of my house.

Edited, Jul 18th 2017 12:10pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#334 Jul 19 2017 at 3:28 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,245 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Kuwoobie wrote:
It's because you hate women.
Well, yeah, with how their hair gets everywhere and their fangs and claws and always leaving dead birds in front of my house.
It's a Jersey thing, right?
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#335 Jul 20 2017 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,563 posts
That's a mighty fine punchline. Brava.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#336 Jul 29 2017 at 2:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
3am thoughts.

When you die, you become completely unaware of the passage of time, because you're dead. In that sense, you get instantly fast-forwarded to the end of all time, but you're not aware of that either, because you're dead. Then once the universe is done expanding and collapses in on itself. The big bang happens all over again, and everything happens exactly as it did before, right down to the finest detail.

So some trillions(?) of years from now, we get to be reborn, completely unaware of our lives in the previous cycle-- and we relive our lives all over again-- make all the same mistakes, suffer all the same misery with all the same people in all the same places. The only clue we have are faint memories we have somehow that some small part of us is able to recall-- allowing for things to change just ever so slightly. That is "de ja vu."

A few weeks ago, I got to dissect a fetal pig. It was completely optional and ungraded. It was not really what I was expecting. It was a baby pig-- about a foot long. It had little hooves and a cute little snout. Its body was covered in fine hairs. I was expecting a fetus, but this pig looks like it had been born and lived for several weeks or months before it was killed. There was a large tear in its neck that made me wonder if it had been killed for no reason other than for me to cut it into pieces, which I did. Using the scalpel I was provided with, I began by turning over on its back and cutting its abdomen down the center. It didn't feel so bad like I thought it would. The worst part was cracking open its little ribs. I pulled out all of its tiny organs one by one, laying them on the tray and identifying them. After that, I cut the skin on its face down the center and through its thick snout. It felt strange how it didn't seem to mind at all. It was completely at peace with the whole ordeal. Its little eyes were covered by thick eyelids. I could not see its eyes until I removed the skin from its head. It was at that point that it kind of stopped feeling like cutting up a piece of meat. Seeing its face without skin, with its cold dead eyes, and the skin from its face folded over and just hanging there. It felt like I had done something horrible.

I think I've been feeling differently about things since then. The pig just laid there the entire time. Not moving. Not reacting at all. I wasn't expecting it to, but it felt strange. I feel like nothing can really bother me now. I read a news article the other day about how these twin baby boys drowned together in a swimming pool, and thought about how horrible it all must have been for their family and the authorities involved. I feel like now I would have no problem retrieving their bodies from the pool if I had to be the one to do that. I could clean up the scene of a car accident or something equally terrible. It is not as much of a difference if something is dead or dismembered as I thought it would be. When something isn't alive, it's just matter. It's just clumps of cells made of molecules made of atoms, of which I have learned all of the details.

Lately I have not had any kind of motivation to do anything at all. Any possible choice I make leads directly to a chain of events I just don't want. I don't want this world. I don't want this life. It's like being trapped in a fictional world for some TV show that I hate. I hate all the characters, and all the settings. I wish it would all burn. In fact, if there is anything at all I can say I'd like to see, it is that. Total and absolute destruction of all things from a point of view where I could watch it all happen. If not all things, then something. But there is no one I hate so much that I would want to hurt them. Not really anyway. It's all just grey. Neutral. Nothing matters. Nothing is important. There is no urgency and nothing to look forward to. It's just like the dead pig-- completely unflinching and uncaring because it is no longer a part of this world or its problems. It has already seen the end of all things. For it ,the entire world and all the universe has already ended.

____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#337 Aug 12 2017 at 12:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
When talking to people online lately, I've started to notice something. There are a lot of guys, mostly younger guys, who say they identify as female or gender neutral. I never ask them about personal details about themselves, but it seems to come up a lot. Constantly, even.

I'm not going to pretend I understand what it's like to be the opposite gender trapped in the wrong body or what have you-- but what I keep seeing seems to be something quite different from that. When the topic comes up, whether they are talking to me or I just happen to be in the same space reading their conversation with someone else, there seems to be this reoccurring theme of sorts. It is: They identify as female-- because they did not feel valued as males, particularly on the internet where people are exclusively anonymous. --and when they say this, I really begin to kind of understand what they mean.

I have had many discussions about how people's attitudes change depending on gender they think you are, and I have since become more aware of how people interact with each other, be it in a chat room, a guild/linkshell in an online game, etc. Basically what it boils down to is: If you are a guy, people are generally very dismissive, but if you are perceived to be female, reactions and responses from others tend to be a lot more positive and friendly overall. Saying this really doesn't even begin to describe the difference.

So now a lot of guys are going well beyond simply playing a female avatar in games or other things online. They aren't simply pretending to be female to try and coax gold and favors from people, as many have done in the past, either. They are actually committed to being female. They won't join calls on Skype or Discord because they don't want to be outed by their male voices. They talk about wanting gender reassignment surgery and the like.

Their desire to be female extends well beyond their lives on the internet. The feeling of worthlessness has a lot of roots in the real world as well, where almost no one can find meaningful employment anymore. This is something that hurts men in particular, because of the way we are raised with certain expectations-- that men are supposed to be breadwinners and providers. A man without money is a scrub, or a bum. A loser. --whereas a woman without money can still be desirable and interesting. I think this is what annoys me the most whenever women complain loudly and constantly about frivolous things like Ghostbusters getting bad reviews or their favorite *** anime not being popular and how oppressed they are because of it.

Back on the internet, real life money and social status are not so important, but there are other factors, just not terribly different factors.

There are some who will tell you, in all seriousness, that "there are no girls on the internet." I know for a fact this isn't true, but if you try to argue that with them they will become outright violent with their response. In the minds of most people, the internet is just a collective sea of homogeneous, nameless, faceless stick figures. On the internet, it is typically perceived that everyone is equally worthless unless until proven otherwise. So now you have all these people trying to be YouTubers, trying to be streamers. Most fail horribly.

I don't really know what my point in all this was. I guess I can say that I understand because I also feel profoundly worthless. Different people have different ways to adapt. I run Minecraft servers, and people want to talk to me because I'm the owner, just mostly a bunch of kids. I join guilds on WoW and get promoted quickly because I have a lot of charisma and leadership skill to offer that are recognized fairly quickly every time. Of course, all of this is online. In the real world I'm a pennyless stay at home husband who never leaves his apartment.

I'm out of school for 4 weeks before my core classes/practicals begin. I had forgotten how hard it is to not have anywhere to go. I still feel ignored and unwanted by my wife and kids. I still think about the world and how it and everyone in it is perfectly content not knowing I exist-- especially the ones who knew I existed but forgot so they could merrily go about their lives without worrying about it.

It sounds selfish when I write it out like this. Why should anyone care? The notion itself is silly. Why do I feel like I need someone to care about me so badly? I don't understand this. All I know is every minute I sit in this place alone is like torture, and I hate saying that because of how people overuse the word "torture" without really meaning it. When I say it, really ******* mean it. It is despair on a level I don't really think anyone can comprehend. It feels like sickness. It overwhelms my entire body. The worst part is not being able to find any kind of relief. It's like when you're playing chess and all the pieces have been removed from the board but the two kings on either side who can now do nothing but shuffle back and forth away from each other.

So my options are to wait and see if anything changes, or quit. I lay in bed and think about hanging myself with wires around the house, and how easy it would be. I did a test run the other day, and was surprised how quickly I started to black out, panicked and removed the cord from around my neck. Apparently I don't really want to die yet. I keep thinking of October, where I plan to send a birthday card to my dear friend who I haven't been in contact with since last October-- the one I'm not supposed to talk to because of our age difference, of course. The one person I want to talk to is someone I am vilified for even thinking about. My entire will to live is riding on how or IF she responds to my hand-written letter and card. I feel like she is the only one who could offer any sort of relief for how I feel. --and not just relief. I would be so happy just to hear her voice again.

At this point, I feel like I don't really care what happens anymore. I feel like I'm not able to be afraid of anything. It's like everything is ****. I can't enjoy the things I used to enjoy, even those things are like angry impostors.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#338 Aug 12 2017 at 7:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Kuwoobie wrote:
I was going to write something on here twice now over the past week, but both times I was interrupted as the page I was writing on decided mid-paragraph to redirect to some ad page as if I had clicked on one. (I didn't?) Also, the login button is broken and the only way I can bypass this is by pretending to create a new thread.

To answer gbaji's question really fast: The comments were on Facebook, not posted directly to the article.

Oh sweet, I had switched browsers, which is annoying. I'll have to try this trick.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#339 Aug 12 2017 at 7:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Kuwoobie wrote:
I was going to write something on here twice now over the past week, but both times I was interrupted as the page I was writing on decided mid-paragraph to redirect to some ad page as if I had clicked on one. (I didn't?) Also, the login button is broken and the only way I can bypass this is by pretending to create a new thread.

To answer gbaji's question really fast: The comments were on Facebook, not posted directly to the article.

Oh sweet, I had switched browsers, which is annoying. I'll have to try this trick.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#340 Aug 12 2017 at 8:58 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,404 posts
Another trick: If I have to write something really long, I use another forum, then copy and paste it all here so the ads aren't constantly stopping me mid-sentence.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#341 Aug 15 2017 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
Why use another forum? Just open up notepad (or whatever equivalent is on the system you're on).
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#344 Aug 16 2017 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
******
49,563 posts
Even being concise your posts take up more room than necessary.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#345 Aug 16 2017 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
34,824 posts
This time, it wasn't my fault! Smiley: mad
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 52 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (52)