Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Attempting to Box not working to well.Follow

#1 Feb 11 2017 at 12:08 PM Rating: Decent
I am attempting to Box this is my pc's setup: I7 quad core, ssd, 16 gigs of ram, cable Internet, nvidia 1080 graphics card. I am boxing mage and ranger whenever I switch windows is a delay 3 or 4 seconds which gets one toon killed most times. I hate playing in windowed mode so yes I am using full screen mode.
#2 Feb 11 2017 at 10:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,160 posts
Your machine from the few specs you posted should be more than adequate to even box four toons. It is definitely more computer than I have and I don't have any problem boxing four.
How are you switching toons...alt-tab?

My best advice is to take your two box crew to a light blue infested area and and learn to play them together while slaughtering stuff that will not kill your crew.
Good luck!
____________________________
Over the last 15 months, we've traveled to every corner of the United States. I've now been in 57 states? I think one left to go.

Barack Obama

Laen - 105 Dru
Haam - 105 Sk
Laosha - 105 Shammy
Lutan - 105 Bard
#4 Feb 11 2017 at 10:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
70 posts
try setting alt-O > Display > Advanced to:
Max FPS 60
Max background FPS 0

Just a guess, haven't run into the issue you're describing ... yet

Edited, Feb 11th 2017 11:24pm by Taninger
#5 Feb 12 2017 at 12:39 AM Rating: Decent
Thank you will give it a try also going to disable my anti virus think it could be the issuse.
#6 Feb 12 2017 at 5:20 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,177 posts
Whats your anti-virus? I've never seen mine do that. And I wouldn't recommend running without an anti-virus program if you're connected to the Internet. My Norton will flag eqgame.exe as suspicious AFTER A PATCH but that's only because it looks "new" to Norton and it's a program trying to access the Internet. But I white-list the executable and all is well after that.
____________________________
Sippin 105 DRU *** Max AA *** Firionia Vie
Master Artisan (300) * Baker * Brewer * Fletcher * Jeweler * Potter * Researcher * Smith * Tailor
My crew: 105 WAR ENC CLE MAG WIZ 100 SHD BER RNG PAL SHM Master Alchemist *** 85 ROG Master Tinkerer & Poison-Maker
#7 Feb 14 2017 at 9:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
37 posts
I use 2 monitors, have turned down the display settings, but when I put the second character on auto follow, that stupid toon will go on walk-about all the **** time...sigh

I am going to check the "Max background FPS 0" and see what that is set to, think I turned them all the way down...
#8 Feb 15 2017 at 6:35 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,177 posts
Auto-follow is often a problem for me when I box, even when it's two different computers on the same Internet connection. There's just enough lag to cause problems, especially with corners, stanchions, etc. I think it's pretty unavoidable unless you find a way to control both toons directly, which may not even be EULA-legal.

I just take my time in dungeons and other areas with a lot of angles, at least on the corners. This goes back forever. I can remember back in the days of Vex Thal raids, other raiders would ask to auto-follow me when they had to go afk to take a leak or whatever and despite my best intentions they'd get stuck on stanchions or, at worst, fall into a lava river! And that's with 2 entirely different Internet connections.
____________________________
Sippin 105 DRU *** Max AA *** Firionia Vie
Master Artisan (300) * Baker * Brewer * Fletcher * Jeweler * Potter * Researcher * Smith * Tailor
My crew: 105 WAR ENC CLE MAG WIZ 100 SHD BER RNG PAL SHM Master Alchemist *** 85 ROG Master Tinkerer & Poison-Maker
#9 Feb 17 2017 at 8:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
37 posts
I checked, and it was set all the way down, so thats not it... Oh well, I use the mages Call of Hero many times...

narrew wrote:
I use 2 monitors, have turned down the display settings, but when I put the second character on auto follow, that stupid toon will go on walk-about all the **** time...sigh

I am going to check the "Max background FPS 0" and see what that is set to, think I turned them all the way down...

#10 Feb 17 2017 at 11:47 PM Rating: Excellent
You actually want max background fps set up to at least a quarter of the way. When you have it set to 0, it chokes resources away from other instances of EQ.
#11 Feb 18 2017 at 2:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
37 posts
Thank you, I will test that out!

Gidono wrote:
You actually want max background fps set up to at least a quarter of the way. When you have it set to 0, it chokes resources away from other instances of EQ.

#12 Feb 20 2017 at 1:05 PM Rating: Excellent
**
586 posts
Sippin wrote:
Auto-follow is often a problem for me when I box, even when it's two different computers on the same Internet connection. There's just enough lag to cause problems, especially with corners, stanchions, etc. I think it's pretty unavoidable unless you find a way to control both toons directly, which may not even be EULA-legal.

I just take my time in dungeons and other areas with a lot of angles, at least on the corners. This goes back forever. I can remember back in the days of Vex Thal raids, other raiders would ask to auto-follow me when they had to go afk to take a leak or whatever and despite my best intentions they'd get stuck on stanchions or, at worst, fall into a lava river! And that's with 2 entirely different Internet connections.


Auto-follow in EQ has lots of issues that have nothing to do with boxing. If your boxing rig has lag, it will make it worse, but if it doesn't have lag, auto-follow will still be pretty bad.

I have gotten pretty good at auto-follow with my 3 box crew. The main points: don't run full speed for long periods unless you're literally in a wide open, flat zone. Keep pausing every few seconds and letting the others catch up. And when in places with tight turns, make WIDE turns, to help the corners not interfere. Think of those signs on the back of semi-trailers: This vehicle makes wide right turns :)

Tat
____________________________
Tatanka Wolfdancer, 105 Wood Elf Druid, 7 x 300 Master Artisan, 7 maxxed trophies :)
Anaceup Mysleeves, 105 Erudite Mage, 2 x 300 Master Artisan
Snookims Whinslow, 105 Erudite Enchanter, 2 x 300 Master Artisan
<Inisfree>, Tunare (Seventh Hammer!)

Tatankaa (95 Inquis)/Urkell (38 Conj)/ Seanthornton (24 Pally), <Inisfree> Freeport server (some other server now)
#13 Feb 20 2017 at 4:38 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,168 posts
tatankaseventh wrote:
Think of those signs on the back of semi-trailers: This vehicle makes wide right turns :)
There's an ogre butt joke in there somewhere. Smiley: clown
____________________________
Anna wrote:
People often say that if someone doesn't agree then, they don't understand their point. That's not true. Sometimes they don't agree with it.
#14 Feb 21 2017 at 5:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
70 posts
Gidono wrote:
You actually want max background fps set up to at least a quarter of the way. When you have it set to 0, it chokes resources away from other instances of EQ.


Interesting, will give that a try as well.
#15 Feb 22 2017 at 1:24 PM Rating: Excellent
**
586 posts
Also wanted to mention, I three box on my rig, and I've NEVER turned off my anti-virus. There should be no need to do that.

Tat
____________________________
Tatanka Wolfdancer, 105 Wood Elf Druid, 7 x 300 Master Artisan, 7 maxxed trophies :)
Anaceup Mysleeves, 105 Erudite Mage, 2 x 300 Master Artisan
Snookims Whinslow, 105 Erudite Enchanter, 2 x 300 Master Artisan
<Inisfree>, Tunare (Seventh Hammer!)

Tatankaa (95 Inquis)/Urkell (38 Conj)/ Seanthornton (24 Pally), <Inisfree> Freeport server (some other server now)
#16 Feb 22 2017 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
tatankaseventh wrote:
Also wanted to mention, I three box on my rig, and I've NEVER turned off my anti-virus. There should be no need to do that.

Tat


Correct, most of today's anti virus programs relegate the overhead they introduce to the background so they work well with other programs. If you have a newer computer, then the additional overhead won't even be an issue.
#17 Feb 23 2017 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
4 posts
Try using windowed mode but making the windows almost the size of the complete screen - means you get the same view and it's faster to switch between accounts, works on my laptop which is slightly lower spec than yours and i can 4 box (If i really wanted to!). The delay is probably caused by full screen mode.
#18 Feb 24 2017 at 8:56 AM Rating: Excellent
**
586 posts
RathaCatt wrote:
Try using windowed mode but making the windows almost the size of the complete screen - means you get the same view and it's faster to switch between accounts, works on my laptop which is slightly lower spec than yours and i can 4 box (If i really wanted to!). The delay is probably caused by full screen mode.


That's a good point. I use ISBoxer, and it makes each client windowed, but full size with no border, so it looks like full screen mode. Swapping between is pretty much instantaneous.

Tat
____________________________
Tatanka Wolfdancer, 105 Wood Elf Druid, 7 x 300 Master Artisan, 7 maxxed trophies :)
Anaceup Mysleeves, 105 Erudite Mage, 2 x 300 Master Artisan
Snookims Whinslow, 105 Erudite Enchanter, 2 x 300 Master Artisan
<Inisfree>, Tunare (Seventh Hammer!)

Tatankaa (95 Inquis)/Urkell (38 Conj)/ Seanthornton (24 Pally), <Inisfree> Freeport server (some other server now)
#19 Mar 05 2017 at 5:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
7 posts
sound on is major lag, i turn sound off and all adv display options. then turn off show names and spell effects; and drop far clip plane to 25.
____________________________
Vvampyr - emarr
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 155 All times are in CDT
Adonhiram, arthursu, Broann666, emily26, Veshn111, Anonymous Guests (150)